About our Society
Dedicated to the advancement of cosmetic science, the Society strives to increase and disseminate scientific information through meetings and publications. By promoting research in cosmetic science and industry, and by setting high ethical, professional and educational standards, we reach our goal of improving the qualifications of cosmetic scientists. Our mission is to further the interests and recognition of cosmetic scientists while maintaining the confidence of the public in the cosmetic and toiletries industry.
history of our society
Building a community and expanding knowledge for over 70 years.
Comprised of over 5,000 members, the Society of Cosmetic Chemists was founded in 1945 to promote high standards of practice in the cosmetic sciences. We serve as a focus and provide the proper forums for the exchange of ideas and new developments in cosmetic research and technology. Our leadership includes a long list of past SCC Presidents who have served the organization well over the years.
Since 1948 Chapters have been the lifeblood of the Society of Cosmetic Chemists. We now have 19 Chapters throughout the United States and Canada, which conduct monthly meetings, educational seminars, suppliers’ days and publish monthly newsletters. These Chapters are run by dedicated volunteers who lend their time and expertise to the smooth and efficient operation of each Chapter.
At the turn of the century, our Society launched their first website with a mission to reach a larger audience while extending enhanced services to our membership. By digitizing our historic journals, we have an inventory of our evolutionary progress in developing new products based on sound standards.
SCC honors outstanding achievements in cosmetic sciences and raises awareness of the contributions that our members make to society. Members of SCC join a long line of accomplished professionals who are recognized by their contemporaries for the outstanding work accomplished within the field of Cosmetic Sciences.
- Maison G. de Navarre Medal Award
- Merit Award
- Robert A. Kramer Lifetime Service Award
- Shaw Mudge Award Sponsored by BASF Corporation
- SCC Award Sponsored by Rhodia Novecare
- Hans Schaeffer Award Sponsored by Lonza Personal Care
- Allan B. Black Award Sponsored by Presperse Corporation
- Joseph P. Ciaudelli Award Sponsored by Croda, Inc.
- Des Goddard Award sponsored by Lonza Personal Care
- SCC Award Sponsored by The HallStar Company
- Frontier of Science Award Lecture Sponsored by Cosmetic & Toiletries Magazine
- Henry Maso Keynote Award Lecture
- Society of Cosmetic Chemists Student Poster Award Sponsored by DD-Chemco, Inc.
- Chapter Awards
- Chapter Merit Award
- Chapter Best Speaker Award