On Tuesday, September 19, 2017 (5:30pm 8:00pm) at Giovanni’s, please join the Connecticut chapter and learn about surfactants from Steve O’Connor of Innospec. Registration now open. Click here to proceed.
Registration 5:30 – 6:00pm
Personal cleansing products based on sulfate free chemistries are quickly emerging as one of the fastest growing areas in the personal care marketplace. While the debate continues in the scientific community whether sulfates are truly harmful, the consumer image of these ingredients is continually growing more negative. This has stimulated the introduction of a flood of new “sulfate free” products throughout the world.
Formulating these types of products presents a real challenge to even the most experienced formulators as the alternatives to sulfates are usually more expensive and do not perform as well. In addition formulators often have to add complex polymer packages to achieve the desired aesthetic and conditioning properties commonly expected by the consumer.
The purpose of this workshop is to review the state of the “sulfate free” market and identify alternative chemistries and formulation techniques to meet these challenges. Specific topics to be covered include the following subject areas.
- Current market status of sulfate free personal cleanser products
- Identify formulation/technology challenges experienced by formulators
- In depth review of the chemistries commonly used as alternatives to sulfate free surfactants including their chemical structures, benefits and deficiencies
- Performance Vs cost
- Formulating high performance, sulfate free personal cleansers
- Additional topics will also be covered per specific inquiries from the attendees.
Biography – Steve O’Connor is the Director of Technology, Americas for the Personal Care business of Innospec Performance Chemicals. He has a PhD in Chemical Engineering from the University of Cincinnati and during his accomplished research career has worked at Unilever, Clariant, and Lubrizol in addition to Innospec. Steve has worked in the personal care industry for over 17 years as a research scientist, technical sales representative and technical group leader.